Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Maxi Skirt Dilemma

Wearing: Banana Republic Factory Shirt old -XSP, Forever 21 Maxi Skirt recent -XS , New York & Company old - S/M, Aldo Pump -6, Turquoise Necklace and Earring c/o of  KTR Style

This maxi skirt has been sitting in my closet for a few weeks now. I initially bought the skirt thinking that I would pair it with one of my blouses. The pairing ended up being such a headache for me. I tried to find a top in my closet to go with the skirt but I found out that it was easier said than done.  The skirt is boxy and has an elastic band that made it look frumpy when a top was tucked under the skirt.

More than once I thought about returning the skirt but held on to it because it only cost $12.50 and I wasn't willing to give up on trying to find a way of making it work with my wardrobe. I know I know...not the most rational reasons, right.=)


Today I decided I would give the skirt one more try. I decided to pair the skirt with a simple cotton blouse and added a belt to clinch the skirt at the waist. I initially put on a skinny belt but the fabric bunched up so much that it wound up blocking the belt from view. After a few unsuccessful tries I remembered that I had this wide black belt. I liked the way the wide belt worked with the skirt but I think it would have looked better if I could have worn it with lighter color belt. What do you suggest?  The only thing I'm still not completely happy with is that, even with the wide belt, the material still puffed up a little around the waist area. Overall I was still pleased that I was able to finally able to find a way to wear the skirt. Although my daughter told me that I looked like one of the ladies from the pioneer day.=) See the photo below.

Photo courtesy of fanpop: source


I couldn't decide what accessories to wear with the outfit until I saw the box that had this turquoise necklace and earring tucked inside. This beautiful set is giveaway prize from the lovely KTR of KTRstyle's and I had just received it a few days ago. Check out her blog if you have not done so. She has an amazing sense of style. 

Here is a closer view of the beautiful necklace.


Ladies what do you think of maxi skirts and have you had problems trying to find something to go along with it?

25 comments:

  1. Love this skirt on you! I think the accessories go great with your outfit. Tres chic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm glad you didnt return the skirt because its definitely a fab find! And the necklace and earrings looks fab on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the necklace and earring. I love them.

      Delete
  3. Love the color of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you styled it perfectly...and skirts like that are hard to style on us shorties, but you made it work! Glad you didn't return!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loveee the maxi skirt on you. Despite your dilemmas, I think you styled this pretty well! The color is gorgeous too! Jade color and neutral somehow always go well together! - xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of maxi skirt which I normally wear to the beach or on beach vacay. I pair them with flowy tank for boho look but you pulled this look perfectly!

    Come visit me and follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. I'll have to try the maxi skirt with a flowy tank for summer. =)

      Delete
  7. You look great on your maxi skirt. Maxi skirt is so hard for petite like us, but you look still tall. Love that color too so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS. It's just the angle of the photo. I'm short. I'm only 4'11.

      Delete
  8. I love it, what about trying a skinnier belt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the skirt, too! I'd try it with a slouchy sweater with it, myself. Kind of tucked/untucked, if you know what I mean. And yes, maybe a brown belt would soften this particular outfit - and still wider, but not quite this wide. The Looping Lanes belt could work here, if you have one. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I know what you mean about the tucked and untucked. I have to try that. I don't have the Looping Lanes belt and had to google it. Something like that may work. =)

      Delete
  10. You look so tall in this maxi! Have you tried tying a sash? Maybe it will provide enough width to hide bunching but also give you a pop of color - like a coral?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SPG. I like the idea of tying a sash and the coral sound so pretty with the jade skirt.

      Delete
  11. Maxi skirts in my opinion are a lot harder to style than what most people think. This reminds me of the black one that I have in my closet that is about 7 years old and I'be worn it once on my blog. The result wasn't all that great. I think you did a great job styling this skirt and now...I'm tempted to revisit that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that maxi skirt!!! esp the color.. so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you kept the skirt, it's fantastic. That color is gorgeous. And I actually really like it with the blouse and belt. With my maxi's I tend to just pair them with something simple like a t-shirt. Probably not much help :)
    Sarah
    www.comingunstitched.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. your maxi skirt is sooo cute! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. used to be afraid of maxi skirts.... i really love yours! i think you styled it well. maybe you might want to try a more casual look also? i used to always think maxis as something formal... but if the weather is nicer, try it with a simple tank, or a loose knit sweater and some boots or thong sandals. :) i love that necklace! turquoise is my fave color. :)

    have a great day!

    xoxo
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete