Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Girly Me

 A huge thanks to Sydney of PetiteLittleGirl for finding this beautiful Ann Taylor sweater for me. See Sydney's blog to see how she styled this sweater.


Wearing:
Blouse:
 Ann Taylor old XSP
Sweater: Ann Taylor Snowpearl Crew Neck SP
Skirt:  Charlotte Russe Dress worn as a skirt old S
Shoe: BCBG Genernation bootie -6




 If you have been following my blog you can probably guess by now that I love all things girly. If this is your first time reading then let me tell you that I love clothes with lace, ruffles, or anything that you can associate with being a girly girl

But what if I told you that, had you met me 10 years ago, you would not have recognized me. There are many people who knew me 10 years ago that would probably have to do a double take if they passed me on the street today. 




10 years ago I was the type of girl who was considered "just one of the guys." I was somewhat of a tomboy. I loved anime and anything that involved martial arts. My idols were Donnie Yen and Jet Li. My idea of something casual to wear out was a t-shirt and windbreaker pants(*gasp* I know I know...pretty horrible, right?). And to top it all off I usually had my hair tied up in a pony tail or braided. Fashion was the farthest thing from my mind. Back then I couldn't have named one famous fashion designer even if my life depended on it. But I could tell you all the details about the Fushigi Yugi anime =). 


*Me about 10 yrs ago added per request by SPG*

Even so, I was wasn't your typical tomboy. There was a part of me that was a romantic dreamer who read romantic novel, who loved things that were cute and girly, and would even put on a pretty dress and wear heels every once in a while. Still, that was something that only happened on rare occasions. People rarely saw that side of me.


It wasn't until I met and married my husband that I started to embrace the girly side of me. I became interested in makeup, paid more attention to what I wore, and started to read up about the fashion world. Finding the petite community two years ago has provided me with some in depth perspective on the fashion world. I feel that I still have a long way to go and I am still searching for my style since I was such a late bloomer but I feel I've come a long way.


 "False advertisement! What happen to the girl I married who wasn't into makeup and fashion" my husband said to me as he saw me become more comfortable with myself. He was joking of course. He says he has always thought I was always beautiful and now I'm only proving that he was right. I'm still that girl who loves anime and martial arts. And my idols are still Donnie Yen and Jet Li. I am just finally coming out of my shell and giving the woman hidden inside a chance to shine. 


Ladies, how much have you changed over the years? 



26 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! And your style is much like mine, very girly. I was always very girly at heart but in University I guess I didn't think much about how I dressed, if it was clean and didn't fall off or wasn't too tight I wore it LOL! High school I was in a uniform all the time so I didn't give as much thought to my clothes, but that's when I really discovered my love of makeup.

    I guess now that I have an income and can afford to be picky and actually have a style I am embracing it more. Finding petite blogs DEFINITELY helped me out with inspiration too! I would think "hey, I can dress like that and it's not that hard!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine I still have a long way to go =)

      Delete
  2. Ying, the sweater does look a tad big on you but I know an XS would be too small. I truly believe that our spouses influence us more than one ways. Before I got married, I loved to dress up all the time. Now, I am much more laid back and casual. I'm not a girly girl by any means but I always feel more comfortable in dresses/skirts. My husband is an outdoor type of person. He dress up for work everyday but on the weekend, it’s all about jeans, t-shirts and hiking boots =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney. It's a bit big. I'm seem to be in between size. That's always happen to me. I may try to shrink the sweater. It's true our spouse influences us more than we know.

      Delete
  3. Love that adorable bow peeking out from under the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is so beautiful. And I love your story how you've changed... sounds so fantastic!

    I sometimes feel I haven't changed anything over years, finally I'm trying to change myself a little bit. I finished school 2yrs ago and now working but I didn't think anything since I was too busy! Finally I start thinking my style as my age recently. I like girly stuff, but now I have to grow up a little so I'm looking for the good balance of girly and professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS. I feel that as I get older I need to dress more my age but I still love to dress girly from time to time. =)

      Delete
  5. What a cute story! May we see a picture of yourself 10 years ago? :)

    My style is dressier and more conservative now. I used to only wear pants but now I'm embracing skirts and dresses as well. I'm also considerably bigger than I used to be LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SPG. LOL I'll to see what I can find. =)

      Delete
  6. That sweater looks great on you! It definitely was ordered in an abundance in Chicago and I am not sure why it took forever to clear out of the shelves, but the last time I went to AT it was gone! So you were once a tomboy? I guess I never would have expected that as you are so feminine. My style from now and 10 years ago is about the same...I like clean lines, neutrals, and some fun sort of edge to whatever it is I am wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bessie. It's almost like I did a 180 but not quite hehehe.

      Delete
  7. Aww...such a sweet story! Glad to see your style evolving into the girly girl that was always inside you, even in your windbreaker days. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. The girly girl want to come out to play more often now. =)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing a little bit of yourself with us. We all go through these kinds of changes and most of the time, it's for the better! I am more feminine now than I ever was. Growing up, I didn't like pink..but now that has clearly changed. I was on a lot of sports teams in high school and still enjoy playing sports now (if I get the time). Really though... I like dressing up more than breaking a sweat on the field. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post. Change is always good. =)

      Delete
  9. OK So that picture did not pop up on my computer last night! You have come a long way, and you definitely have changed up your style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Bessie, I edited my post to include the pictures per SPG request. =)

      Delete
  10. Love the girly you, Hummm my style has changed a lot in the last 10 years, In high school I was a surfer girl, which meant flip flops, cut offs, tiny tanks and gasp, midriffs...You'd never know now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I won't have know that if you didn't tell me. You're so stylish.

      Delete
  11. Very girly you and this outfit. Like you, i love all things girly...lace..ruffles..bows...bring it on but i try to put a limi. As much as I love them, i find it difficult to stylea at times so I try to stick with basic pieces. I was not a pink lover in the past but i love pink more now.

    Is that amazing how love brings sweetness and feminity out of every woman? Your husband sounds so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post!!!enjoyed your blog..

    visit my blog too...

    http://voguelyvan.blogspot.com/

    kissses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing Ying...I'm sure most of us have changed a lot over the years! I used to be the most unfashionable person ever wearing flip flops, jeans that were too loose, and sweatshirts. haha I slowly moved away from that although sometimes I wear that kind of stuff when lounging at home. =P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww! I love this blog post. It reminds me of me. Going up, I was kind of like you (windbreakers and t-shirts were my things).

    I fall in love with fashion about half a year ago, and am still in the process of discovering my fashion style. I learned that fashion is a great way to express yourself.

    Anyway, about half a year ago, I didn't know that fashion sites existed. I discovered it randomly by chance by watching a Youtube videos of Jean from Extrapetite in which she reviews nude pump shoes from Target and CL. From then on, I discovered other fashion bloggers like Wendylookbook and your sites (from Jean's Blogroll).

    BTW, this is my first post on your blog. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace,
      Thank you for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's amazing the thing you can find on the internet these day. I found the Petite Community two years ago and it has help open my eyes to the fashion world. I'm a newbie and have much to learn.

      Delete